A Telegraph source denied to BuzzFeed News that the piece had been pulled due to pressure from the Palace, but the newspaper declined to comment on the record.
In the midst of a continuous scrutiny of how the The British press covers several members of the royal family, the Telegraph newspaper canceled critical column about Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, Thursday hours after her collation on the website.
The story, entitled “A Rare Step for the Duchess of Cambridge?”, Criticized Kate for co-authoring a recent op-ed on early childhood education with U.S. First Lady Jill Biden, who is a professor and holds a doctorate in education.
“As important as the cause is, it is in danger of falling into the same trap as the Sussex; it risks aligning itself too much with a seated political party,” wrote author Joanna Rossiter. “It’s impossible to imagine Kate writing this kind of article with, say, Melania Trump. Her decision to do so is a tacit approval of the Bidens.”
This is not the first time Rossiter has raised concerns about a royal duchess showing possible prejudice. In 2019, he wrote a column for the Telegraph criticizing Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, for her “stunning support for all things awakened” and “aligning so closely with the icons of the political left.” This story remains online.
“So unfair criticism of [Kate’s] The co-author piece with Jill Biden is shot but a bunch of lies / racist / fanatical attacks against #MeghanMarkle is never shot? asked activist, author and lawyer Dr. Shola Mos-Shogbamimu in a Viral tweet about the elimination of the column. “I think this criticism of the Duchess of Cambridge is absolute shit, but the double standard / hypocrisy is profound. We’ll see.”
BuzzFeed News has reached out to the Telegraph and Rossiter to clarify why the piece has been removed and whether it will be restored. Rossiter did not respond to repeated requests for comment; a Telegraph spokesman declined to comment on the record.
A Kensington Palace spokesman also declined to comment on the record, but a Telegraph source said they were not contacted by the Palace and that any suggestions they had were “ridiculous”.
A tweet from the official Telegraph account linked to the deleted story (u Column URL now redirect to the website’s home news page) has been removed following the BuzzFeed News investigation.
The cancellation came hours before Kate launched it the most ambitious project to date: a center dedicated to the study of childhood and advocacy work to support children and parents during the first years of life.
The Telegraph has a reputation in the UK for being a right-wing newspaper store. It was also the source of the widely reported story that Meghan had made Kate cry during a disagreement before her marriage to Prince Harry – that Meghan refuted in her March interview with Oprah Winfrey.
In this interview, Harry said there was “an invisible contract behind closed doors” between the palace and UK magazines
“If as a family member you are willing to come, eat, and give full access to these journalists, then you will get a better picture,” he said, adding that “the institution survives” because of this symbiotic relationship. between the British Palace and Media.
In May, Harry too accused that the stories about Meghan being an intimidator to her staff during her time as a working member of the royal family were “the combined effort of the company and the media to defame her”.
The Telegraph piece has not been restored online to publication.