Syrian government bombing in Idlib kills seven members of the same family | Syria News


The army has intensified the bombing of rebels held in the northwest since President al-Assad was sworn in for a new term last week.

Syrian government artillery bombs struck a country in the last rebel enclave in the country on Thursday, killing seven members of the same family, including four children, rescue operators and a war monitor.

The bombing is part of an ongoing military escalation in the northwestern part of Syria, which had been under a ceasefire sponsored by Russia and Turkey since last year.

To date it is unclear what caused the escalation, which before the attack had already killed at least 17 children this month, according to figures confirmed by the UNICEF agency for children.

Rescue workers in opposition areas, known as White Helmets, have said shells have landed in the village of Ibleen in the southern province of Idlib.

A mother and her four children were among the dead pulled out from under the rubble of a destroyed house. Seven other people were injured, according to the group.

Rami Abdurrahman, head of Britain’s Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said the children’s grandfather and uncle were also among the dead. He said the father was injured in the attack.

According to Observatory records, 21 people, including 11 children and six women, have been killed in government attacks on the rebel enclave since Saturday.

The army intensified its bombing of the northwestern enclave when President Bashar al-Assad he took the oath of office for a new term swearing to make “liberating those parts of the homeland that are still in need” one of its top priorities.

On the day Assad was sworn in, the attacks on the Idlib villages of Sarja and Ehsin killed 14 civilians, seven of them children.

Two days earlier the bombing of Idlib and the northernmost city of Fuaa killed nine civilians, three of them children, the Observatory said.

Thursday’s attack came on the last day of Eid al-Adha’s Islamic holiday.

The Syrian government, which accepted the Russia-Turkey negotiated truce last year, has vowed to restore control of the territory it lost during the 10-year conflict.

The March 2020 truce, which covers the area hosting nearly 4 million displaced people for the most part, has been negotiated between Turkey, which supports the Syrian opposition and has troops deployed in the area, and Russia, the main supporter of the Syrian government.

At that time, he arrested an exploitative air and ground campaign of the Russian-backed government, aimed at retaking the region.

Elsewhere in the country, Kurdish-led forces control much of the East after expelling the ISIL (ISIS) group from the region.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *