Offensive attacker Ja’Wuan James filed a claim against the Denver Broncos on Monday seeking to recover his $ 10 million salary for the 2021 season and $ 5 million in guarantees for 2022, according to a copy of the report obtained from Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.
The Broncos released James last month after snatching his Achilles while training from the team facility. Denver called it a football-free injury, but James disagrees.
“(James) didn’t work for him,” the complaint says. “(James) acted as expressly and / or implicitly authorized and / or directed by the respondent’s agents, including but not limited to the instruction and / or direction of the respondent’s coach and / or other responding agents. the respondent.
“(James) was working with other team players in the facility and consulting younger players as requested and / or expressly and / or implicitly authorized by the respondent through his agent and / or agents. . “
James also says the Broncos’ installation was not in accordance with the NFL’s COVID-19 guidelines.
After the veteran lineman ripped off his Achilles, the NFL released a statement saying all injuries suffered while a player was working “by himself” in a place other than a league facility were considered “football-free injuries.” “.
The 29-year-old has signed a four-year, $ 51 million deal with the Broncos in 2019. He previously played for the Miami Dolphins from 2014-18 after being drafted by the 19th club overall in the 2014.