Israeli airstrikes target Gaza for third time since May ceasefire | Gaza News


No casualties were reported in the attack, which Israel said was in response to the launch of “incendiary balloons” from Gaza.

Israel said its fighter jets were destined for a weapons manufacturing site in the Gaza Strip overnight on Friday in the latest riots, since a ceasefire ended the May attacks.

Security sources with Hamas said the raids had hit training sites and had not reported any casualties.

The Israeli army spokesman said the air raid came in response to the launch of incendiary balloons from the Gaza Strip towards the surrounding Israeli settlements.

“In response to the incendiary balloons fired at Israeli territory today, [military] the shotguns hit … a weapons-making site belonging to the terrorist organization Hamas, ”the statement said.

There was no immediate indication as to which Gaza-based group was responsible for launching the ball, but Israel makes Hamas responsible for any action.

It was the third time Israel had carried out airstrikes in Gaza since the end of the 11-day offensive it launched into blocked territory in May this year.

The conflict has killed at least 256 Palestinians, including 66 children, according to Gaza authorities.

In Israel, 13 people, including two children, were killed by gunfire from Gaza, police and the army said.

Egyptian and international mediators have sought to support the cessation of the informal fire that ended the most recent war.

In recent days, Israel has eased restrictions to allow Qatar-funded fuel, expanded Gaza’s fishing zone and allowed increased cross-border trade.

There have been several flare-ups since the ceasefire, including a series of balloon launches last month. Israel responded with airstrikes.

After an exchange of fire on June 18, the Israeli army chief ordered forces to be ready “for a variety of scenarios including a resumption of hostilities.”

The Gaza Strip has been under an Israeli-Egyptian blockade since 2007, after Hamas – which was democratically elected the year before – took control of the coastal enclave.

At least two million people – half of them under the age of 18 – live in the territory, one of the most densely populated areas in the world, in terrible humanitarian conditions.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *