Netanyahu’s office statement says he is marching to move forward “in a format” to be agreed between police and organizers.
The outgoing Israeli government has said a controversial march by far-right nationalists and pro-settlers groups through the Old City of East Jerusalem will be advanced next week, a decision taken a day after the event was ruled out. via security issues.
Several right-wing Israeli groups had planned a so-called “Flag March” through the Damascus Gate of the walled Old City and in its Muslim quarter on Thursday, drawing warnings from Hamas – the group governing the besieged Gaza Strip – of hostility renewed. you must proceed.
Far-right groups canceled the march after police denied them permission. But after a meeting of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet on Tuesday, his office said ministers had approved the march to be held next week.
“The parade will take place next Tuesday (June 15) in a format to be agreed between the police and the organizers of the parade,” a statement from Netanyahu’s office said.
A senior Hamas official, Khalil al-Hayya, had warned Israel on Monday “against letting the march approach East Jerusalem and the compound of the Al-Aqsa Mosque.”
“Hopefully the message will be clear so that Thursday doesn’t become a nightmare [a new] May 10, ”he said, referring to the start of last month’s 11-day fighting between Israel and Hamas.
At least 254 Palestinians, including 66 children, were killed in the Israeli bombing according to health authorities in Gaza, while Israeli officials said 12 people in Israel including two children were killed in Israel by racial attacks carried out by groups armed forces based in Gaza.
Israeli races in Gaza come after weeks of growing tension over the imminent forced displacement of several Palestinian families by Sheikh Jarrah, a Palestinian neighborhood in East Jerusalem occupied by Jewish settlers trying to expel them for decades.
The situation was exacerbated when Israeli police stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem’s Old City – the third holiest site in Islam – and injured hundreds of Palestinian worshipers during several days of violence.
Netanyahu faces the end of his long takeover on Sunday when the country’s legislature is in place expected to vote on the approval of a government of various parties which have come together to depose him.
If that vote is successful, it will be up to Prime Minister-designate Naftali Bennett and his fellow opposition leader Yair Lapid to decide whether to proceed with the march.
Labor politician Gilad Kariv, a supporter of the coalition challenging Netanyahu, called the move “another chapter in the outgoing government’s attempt to leave a scorched earth”.
Tensions are likely to remain high in Jerusalem, whether the march comes forward or not.