The Israeli army struck Hamas positions after claiming that incendiary balloons had been launched from the besieged enclave.
The Israeli army carried out another raid overnight on Hamas positions in the besieged Gaza Strip after claiming that incendiary balloons had been launched from the Palestinian enclave.
The Israeli army he said it hit a “weapons manufacturing site and a rocket belonging to Hamas” late Saturday.
According to security sources and witnesses in Gaza, fighter jets have hit facilities west of Gaza City and on the northern strip, with no immediate reports of casualties.
– Maha Hussaini (@MahaGaza) July 3, 2021
There was no immediate indication as to which Gaza-based group was responsible for launching the balloon, but Israel holds Hamas – the group that governs Gaza – responsible for any action.
“Strikes have been carried out in response to incendiary bombs fired at Israeli territory,” a statement from the Israeli army said.
On Thursday, four small fires caused by incendiary balloons from Gaza were blown up in the Eshkol region, according to fire services.
Israel retaliated early Friday with airstrikes, which the military said hit a “weapons manufacturing site” belonging to Hamas.
The latest attack comes just weeks after the Israeli army launched an 11-day bombardment campaign on the already devastated enclave, killing at least 260 Palestinians, including 66 children.
In Israel, 13 people, including two children, were killed by gunmen from Gaza, police and the army said.
Saturday night’s incursion was the fourth time Israel has carried out airstrikes in Gaza since the May offensive, which ended in a “ceasefire” mediated by Egypt on 21 May.
Although Israel lifted restrictions last month to allow much-needed aid to the Palestinian enclave, it has maintained a paralyzing 14-year blockade by land, air and sea.
The UN has designated Gaza an “open-air prison” with residents suffering extreme poverty amid conditions that have worsened since the coronavirus pandemic.