India to China: “Unilateral change of status quo is not acceptable” | Asia Pacific News


The two countries agreed to “seek a mutually acceptable solution” to the border problem following the meeting of their foreign ministers.

The failure of China and India to resolve the dispute over their disputed dispute in the western Himalayas, despite an agreement last year, is not in the interest of any party, the minister said on Wednesday. Indian Foreign Affairs to its Chinese counterpart.

In accordance with last year’s pact, the military commanders of the two sides made a retrieval of troops, tanks and artillery from the Pangong Lake area in February in the first step towards the complete retreat from other points of view. friction.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs of India, S Jaishankar, said that friction in these other areas has not yet been resolved.

“[The minister] he recalled that both parties had agreed that an extension of the existing situation was not in the interest of both parties. It has visibly had a negative impact on the relationship, ”India’s foreign minister said in a statement.

Jaishankar and Chinese Wang Yi met alongside a meeting of foreign ministers of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Tajikistan on Wednesday.

At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in border clashes in June last year – the first fighting losses on the border disputed in more than four decades [File: Maxar Technologies via Reuters]

Thousands of soldiers are facing each other from April 2020 at the Royal Control Line (LAC), or at the de facto border, even at Pangong Glacial Lake, raising fears of a wider conflict between the two countries.

Last month, Indian media reported that New Delhi has deployed more than 50,000 more troops on the Chinese border in recent months.

‘Mutually acceptable solution’

At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in clashes at the borders last June – the first combat losses on the border disputed in more than four decades. China later admitted that four of its soldiers were also killed.

The killing of Indian soldiers has provoked a backlash against China, forcing New Delhi to impose restrictions on Chinese businesses and investments and banning dozens of Chinese applications, including the very popular TikTok.

But new data published earlier this week showed that bilateral trade in the first half of the year was $ 57 billion, up 63 percent from the same period last year, despite the slowdown in relations.

[Last month, Indian media reported that New Delhi has deployed more than 50,000 additional troops on the China border in the past few months [File: Danish Siddiqui/Reuters]

The two ministers agreed to seek a mutually acceptable solution to the problem and ensure stability on the ground by avoiding any unilateral action that could increase tensions, the statement he said.

“Concluded a one-hour bilateral meeting with China’s State Councilor and FM Wang Yi alongside the Dushanbe SCO Foreign Ministers’ Meeting. Discussions focused on the long-awaited issues. LAC in the Western Sector, ”Jaishankar he tweeted.

“He stressed that unilateral change of status quo is not acceptable. Complete restoration and maintenance of peace and tranquility in the border areas is essential for the development of our laws. He agreed on the convention of an early meeting of senior military commanders. “

On Wednesday, the Indian army denied reports that Chinese troops had crossed the ALC in eastern Ladakh from where rival troops had been liberated following a February agreement.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *