The Magi and Spencer Dinwiddie agree on $ 62 million three-year deal that will land veteran top guard in Washington, reports Shams Charania of Athletic. The club will acquire Dinwiddie from the Nets via sign-and-trade.
That $ 62 million figure had been earmarked for Dinwiddie’s deal with the Magi, since it’s the most the team could pay him by looping his sign and trading in the biggest Russell Westbrook dealing with the Lakers, notes Fred Katz of Athletic.
According to Charania, the Nets will receive a second-round pick and a draft pick from the Magi in the sign-and-trade agreement. The move should also create a $ 11.5M trade exception for Brooklyn.
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN provides details on the ax plan, noting that the Magi will send a second rounder 2022 to San Antonio and a second rounder 2024 to Brooklyn, as well as a swap 2025 pick for the Nets. This 2025 swap will give Brooklyn the opportunity to send the second rounder of Golden State to Washington in exchange for the second rounder of the Magi, by Tim Bontemps on ESPN.
In all, Wojnarowski reports the deal will include five teams: the Wizards, Nets, Spurs, Lakers and Pacers. In Westbrook trade agreement and the Wizards deal with in order Aaron Vacanze will become part of this larger agreement once it is officially completed after Friday’s moratorium lift.
Here’s what awaits the full deal, based on the details reported so far:
- Magi buy Dinwiddie (via sign-and-trade), Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Montrezl Harrell, Holidays and the project of rights to Isaiah Todd (No. 31 chooses).
- Lakers to acquire Westbrook, a second-round pick from 2024 (from Magi), and the second-round pick from the 2028 Wizards.
- Network to acquire a 2024 second time selection (from Wizards) and the right to exchange the 2025 second warriors selection for the 2025 second warriors selection.
- Spurs to acquire Hutchison and a second-round pick in 2022 (from Wizards).
- Pacers to acquire the rights project Isaiah Jackson (No. 22 picks).
Such as Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report points out, there will probably be at least one more piece involved between the Nets and the Spurs in order to satisfy the rule that every team in a multi-team trade must “touch” two other teams in the deal. As announced, so far, Brooklyn and San Antonio have each received only good from the Magi.
In Dinwiddie, the Magi receive a 28-year-old punter who is coming off a lost season. He appeared in just three games before missing the rest of the 2020-21 campaign due to a partially torn ACL. However, Dinwiddie was they would be uncovered for all basketball activities in June and the expectation is that he will be good to go for the fall.
In his last full season, Dinwiddie averaged 20.6 points and 6.8 assists on the .415 / .308 / .778 shot in 64 games (31.2 minutes per contest) for Brooklyn in 2019-20. .