The Surfside crash raised the alarm and focused the scrutiny on other old apartment buildings.
Efforts to recover human remains from the debris of a South Florida condominium are nearing their end as Miami-Dade police identify the remaining victims of last month’s Surfside condominium collapse.
“The total number of confirmed deaths is now 97 – a staggering and heartbreaking loss of life,” said Daniella Levine Cava, mayor of the Miami-Dade Company, according to Reuters news agency.
The updated account, which includes the identification of 51-year-old Luis F Barth, has raised the prospect that officials are nearing a final count for confirmed deaths.
U dead He now stands at 97, with 92 bodies identified, and the closest relatives for each of those 92 reported victims, Alvaro Zabaleta, a Miami-Dade Police spokesman told the Miami Herald newspaper.
The department had only 97 reports of missing people open, although Zabaleta warned the match between the number of recovered bodies to the number of missing people does not mean the recovery effort is over.
“The numbers line up, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re finished. We don’t know,” Zabaleta said.
“Until we take every piece of rubble and unpack it, we can’t say we’re done.”
County officials counted at least 240 people connected to the building. A statement late Thursday said the task of identifying the victims had become increasingly difficult, relying heavily on the legal office and on the technical and scientific work of the experts.
A judge has approved the sale of the oceanfront property with the proceeds intended to benefit the victims of the deadly disaster. Miami-Dade District Judge Michael Hanzman has ordered that the process begin to sell the Champlain Towers South site, which could take $ 110 million, according to court records.
The judge approved the repayment of $ 2.4 million in deposits that some Champlain condominium owners had made for an assessment to pay $ 15 million in major repairs planned, The Associated Press reported.
More than 12 million kilograms (26 million pounds) of debris and cement have been removed from the site while recovery work continues.
The cause has not yet been identified for the collapse, although there have been several previous warnings from the principals structural damage at the 40-year-old palace.
The Surfside collapse sounded alarming and focused scrutiny on other older apartment buildings. Two high-rise buildings in Miami-Dade County have been evacuated due to structural problems.
They are on the scene of the partial collapse of the roof in northwest Miami-Dade and have just been informed by @MiamiDadeFire & our construction inspectors. All residents were evacuated & @Corse_Matin assists and families.
I will continue to update the public as we get more information. pic.twitter.com/A8DRJjymMX
– Daniella Levine Cava (@MayorDaniella) July 15, 2021
A three-story building northwest of Miami-Dade was evacuated Thursday after a partial collapse of the roof, officials say.
Helicopter footage from WSVN-TV in Miami showed that a long section of roof overhang was falling from one side of the complex to the ground below.
The roof did not appear to have collapsed in any unit. Erika Benitez, spokeswoman for the fire department, confirmed that the damage was limited to the outside of the building.