Constipation treatment in infants
Babies suffer from health problems sometimes, but this is not the problem, but the main problem facing the mother is to know the reason for the child’s complaint and how to solve and treat the problem in a correct manner, and among those problems the child is exposed to constipation, so we will explain to you the signs of constipation in infants, And also constipation treatment in infants.
Constipation in infants
Constipation is known as a decrease in the rate of defecation in a person by experiencing difficulty and pain when passing stool, so it is called constipation and it is one of the most common diseases that children, especially infants, are exposed to, and the reason is because children at that age have a small and weak body at the beginning of its formation.
Also, children have weak abdominal muscles, which makes it more difficult for them. Constipation can persist for more than days and sometimes a week. It is difficult for the child to explain the cause of his pain and it is difficult for the mother to know the reason except through the observations that occur to the child.
When a child is constipated, it is difficult to explain this, but there are many signs to clarify this, and we will explain to you some of those signs.
Signs of constipation in infants
- Note the low number of defecation times in the infant, which notes that diapers are not used as before.
- Notice that the stool is solid and granule-like.
- Note the weight of any ossification in the abdomen of the infant.
- Loss of appetite in the child, which makes the number of stools less than required.
- Notice slight flatulence in the abdomen or notice gases in the child.
- Sleep disturbance and infant snoring.
- The baby cries a lot due to the inability to defecate and because of the gases accumulated in the infant’s stomach.
Treatment of constipation in infants in the first months
The methods of treating constipation in infants vary and vary. There are many home methods for treating constipation for infants, and there are also other types of treatments that are purchased from pharmacies to treat the child.
Home treatment of constipation in infants
At the beginning of the stage of constipation, you must first treat the infant at home in easy ways, but in the event that the stage is advanced and does not give a result, it is preferable to consult a doctor for treatment with medicines, and here are the ways to treat constipation in infants at home.
- The first step, which is always recommended, is exercise for the child, by exercising a leg when the infant sleeps on his back, because exercise greatly stimulates the child’s bowel movement, making it easier to get rid of constipation.
- Liquids also stimulate bowel movement in children and at the same time protect against exposure to constipation, it is necessary to take care of children’s intake of milk and water, and it is recommended to add fruit juice to the infant after 6 months of age to better nourish him.
- Bathing with warm water helps to relax the abdominal muscles in children and reduce his feeling of fatigue, so it is recommended in this case to bathe the infant with warm water.
- Also, one of the most important natural treatment methods to get rid of constipation in an infant is to massage him continuously by massaging the stomach area and lower abdomen, and these steps continue throughout the day, in order to ensure that the child’s bowel movement is stimulated, which helps him to defecate.
- And if the infant is dependent on formula milk, the type of milk must be changed for him because sometimes the milk is the main reason for his exposure to constipation.
- Constipation in infants can also be treated through herbs by offering it to the child between different meals, but the water must be warm and not boiled, in addition to the type of grass that the child’s doctor advises to use, so that he does not face any other problems, herbs play a big role in helping Stimulating the functions of the intestines and facilitating the digestion process in the child.
Treatment of constipation in infants with medicines
When the infant reaches an advanced stage of constipation, it is difficult to treat it by natural methods. Therefore, some resort to the doctor for advice, which is recommended for some medications to treat constipation in the child. We will show you some of these types, but it is recommended to consult the doctor to ensure the health of your child.
- Polyethylene glycol: It does not require a prescription. It is a very easy and not harmful medicine. It is in the form of a powder that is dissolved in water and given to the child to treat constipation.
- Laxatives: Laxatives are similar to macrogol and lactulose, but all of them need to be consulted by a doctor, especially for infants under one year of age.
- Glycerin: This type is safe for children and does not have any side effects. Glycerine suppositories contribute to the movement of stool in the infant and its exit from the intestine, but it is also preferable to consult a doctor before use, especially with infants.
- Lactulose: It is a medicine for children to treat constipation, and it is in the form of a liquid.
- Milk of magnesia: This is a kind of way to treat constipation in infants, but it is recommended that you add it to juice or milk and offer it to the child, because its taste is not pleasant for most children.
The methods of treating constipation in infants vary as previously, but the most important thing at this stage is to know the real reason behind the child’s exposure to constipation, in order to solve the cause and not be exposed to it frequently. For the child, the child was exposed to an allergy to some types of milk, a genetic cause, due to some types of medicines, health problems in the child).